TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rear drivetrain noise
People Seeking Info

Subject Rear drivetrain noise

Posted by infoschumi on April 24, 2021 at 7:25 AM
  This message has been viewed 251 times.

Message I'll write an introduction with the current state of the car.

I have an automatic TT and I spent the last year restoring the rear part of the car. Everything has been removed , sandblasted , cleaned , painted , all rubber parts replaced etc. The only thing that I didn't restore is the rear diff(I just repainted it,changed the oil,restored the diff cooler,the diff pump,the serpentine cooler,so I didn't open it). The only aftermarket items are the 4 axle bushings and arm bushings which are energy suspension.The diff bushings are brand new oem. Original restored shocks,springs,alloys,hicas(All working great and within FSM specifications).Driveshaft U-joint has no play.Lateral driveshafts have no play.Diff had a small play,but it was like 5-10 degree.

Now about the noise.If I drive at a constant low speed, like 20mph,throttle at probably 5-10% , as soon as I let the throttle go I can hear a loud bang at the rear axle.If I drive it harder,there is almost no noise,also no noise at high speeds.I can tell it is louder after the restoration process.it was there before,but not that loud.Can it be diff backlash?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.